Monday, June 25, 2007

Microsoft Popfly

We were having major problems with Microsoft Popfly the last time I wrote in, but I have managed to solve a few dilemmas. First off, we were attempting to use the ImageScraper application to pull the oral pathology slides directly from the website to Popfly, but that plan wasn't working. I decided there had to be a better way. My next attempt was to save the images from the website to my desktop and then upload them to Flickr.com. That plan was successful and I couldn't be happier. After uploading all of the Unit 1 images to Flickr I was able to write a short description of each photo which I hope I can figure out how to display on Popfly. So far I have only been able to get the key term to display with the image in the following applications: PhotoFlip (but some of the words get cut off. I need to figure out how to make the text smaller), PhotoSphere (but it's kind of annoying the way the images rotate and it's hard to click on the image of your choice, it kind of has a mind of it's own. It is nice that once you click and hold on a photo it finally will hold still and the entire title is displayed), PhotoStack (but the image is enlarged too much which makes it blurry and hard to see, and some of the words get cut off),PhotoTiles (Some of the words get cut off, but other than that it works),
So how did I do it?
1. I was invited to join Popfly and I completed the necessary registration.
2. I started my own Flickr account and uploaded all of the images that I had saved to my hard drive from the web. I also added titles and descriptions to all photos.
3. Using the mashup function in popfly:
a. Choose to add the flickr block to the design screen.
b. Click on the wrench and select the following--- Operations: GetUserPhotos, userName: I selected the username of my flickr account, number: 30 because I'm not sure how many photos I have, but it's less than 30. Click on the wrench again to get out.
c. Click Preview at the top of the design screen to make sure the necessary photos show up. If they do great, move on. If they don't, then you did something wrong somewhere. Check all steps again because one mistake can ruin everything.
d. Click customize at the bottom of the screen to return to the design screen.
e. Select the PhotoFlip block onto the design screen.
f. Connect flickr to Photoflip block.
g. Select Preview.
Make sure to save your work. I'll have to learn more about sharing my mashup another day when I have more time, but the video tutorial made it seem simple.

Joni
2 hours

No comments: